ASCA Now Certifying OPEN WATER SWIMMING COACHES in Partnership with WOWSA.
The Purpose is to Educate, inform and Certify swimming coaches working with open water swimmers.
We are working with our partner experts in Open Water Swimming, the World Open Water Swimming Association (WOWSA) to provide the educational component of ASCA Open Water Certification.
Course DescriptionThis is a comprehensive Open Water Swimming Coaches Education Program for pool swimming coaches, triathlete coaches, masters swimming coaches, fitness coaches, endurance sports coaches and multi-sport coaches. Are you interested in learning the details of open water swimming and the best and most current practices and methodologies of the sport?
What to expect in this course…The certification program will educate interested individuals on everything from proper swimming techniques to race tactics. Individuals who pass the program will be able to safely coach young children in short introductory open water swims as well as escort marathon swimmers in the English Channel.
- Open Water Safety
- Marine Environment
- History of the Sport
- Best Practices
- Pyramid of Success
- Level 1 – a score of 75% correct answers on the WOWSA test .
- Level 2 – a score of 80% and coach 1 athlete who has completed a 5 KM swim in open water.
- Level 3 – A score of 85% and one athlete who has completed a 10KM Swim in open water.
- Level 4 – A score of 90% and coaching of one athlete who has completed a 25 KM swim, or competed in a national championship event.
- Level 5 – A score of 95% and coaching 1 athlete who has competed in the Olympic Games or an international championship event or completed a channel crossing.
Costs: $125.00 paid on the WOWSA test to take the course and test up to 3 times.
Initial WOWSA and each subsequent certification is valid for 2 years.
Each coach taking and passing the test will receive recognition from WOWSA as well as ASCA.